Representative John Tobia (Republican from Melbourne) offered five new amendments to House Bill 1405. The amendments would bring HB 1405 in line with Governor Scott’s recommendations. As we read and interpret the changes, they include:
- · Reduces the service credit for future years of service in the Special Risk, Elected Officers, and Judges from 3% to 2%. Amendment 460885
- · Eliminate the Cost of Living Adjustment for Pensions and the DROP after July. Amendment 279579
- · Eliminate overtime in the calculation of the Average Final Compensation. Amendment 696491
- · Raises the Employee contribution up to 5% across the board (it had been reduced to 3% in committee). Amendment 328909
- · Reiterates the closing of the Pension Plan after July 1, and mandates all new members to the Investment Plan. Amendment 251959
This is very disappointing, as it appeared some headway was being made. We can only guess that Rep. Tobia is a pawn of the governor, and we plead with all members to bombard Rep. Tobia with phone calls, emails, and letters – and let him know how punitive his actions are to FRS members who have served the public for all of these years.